What can we do to help our bees thrive and flourish? Starting from an understanding of the honeybee colony as an organism unlike any other found in nature, we will consider
• Swarming as an expression of the bees’ vitality;
• Healthy rhythms of life in the hive, and how to support them;
• When to intervene and when to let your bees manage on their own;
• Increasing your apiary naturally with splits and swarms while breeding better, locally-adapted queens;
• Alternative hive designs;
• Managing Varroa;
• And more.
Weather permitting, we'll visit the Pfeiffer Center’s apiary, where techniques discussed in the classroom will be demonstrated.